I’m so happy to have sewn 4 things in a row that work together to give me 4 new outfits. And the best part is that I only used 2 patterns! No, actually the best part is that these are timeless high quality pieces that will last a long time.

I used The Cheyenne Tunic by Hey June and the Lander Pants and Shorts by True Bias, both available at Indiesew.

*This post is in collaboration with Indiesew. I’m featuring patterns that I love and will make over and over again.

First off, here are the four different looks I created:

Cheyenne Tunics:

This was not my first time making the Cheyenne Tunic. Nor will it be my last! But it was my first time batch sewing two at a time. Early this spring I started seeing wide vertical striped button ups when I was planning my spring looks. I searched everywhere for the right fabric and just couldn’t find it. Not surprisingly there are plenty available now that the trend has been around for a several months. Around that same time Erin shared her Cheyenne. I loved her version with a now sold out RAG & Bone striped double cloth from Mood (similar in linen here), and determined the thin stripes would be more timeless than the bold stripe anyway. So I shamelessly copied hers exactly. (That explains the deja vu you may have had) Oh. My Word. Double cloth is amazing! I’m so glad that Indiesew sources it frequently, because I am not done! I have worn this in the heat of the summer and it breaths beautifully. It’s like wearing a cloud. There aren’t many pieces that can get you through 4 seasons, but this is one.

I have had a gingham version on my list for a couple years. My first Cheyenne was blue gingham, but this one is short sleeved and the full collared view rather than the half placket view also in the pattern. This will layer better underneath sweaters. I just chopped off the sleeve length to make them short. I was going to make dolman sleeves but hacking it got too complicated and my sewing time was very limited so I just went with regular set-in sleeves. Patti has since posted a tutorial for dolman sleeves though, so you should read that if you don’t want to break your brain trying to figure it out.

Adjustments:

I did my standard broad back adjustment, but tried it two different ways. On the Gingham I added the width to both the yoke and the back bodice and worked the extra fabric in at the shoulder seam. On the stripes I added the width just to the back bodice simply by adding a 1/2″ at the fold and worked the extra fabric in with a center pleat. Both ways give me the freedom of movement I need.

I also finished my seams differently based on the different fabrics. For the gingham I used flat felled which is my preferred method for button ups. For the stripes I used French seams, but finished all raw edges with an over-lock stitch on my sewing machine to prevent them from coming apart later since the fabric felt like it would fray easily.

I made a size M and added 3″ to the length, 2.5″ to the long sleeve length. I am 35/27/37 and 6′ tall for reference.

Lander Pants and Shorts:

For the Landers I sourced my fabric from SR Harris Fabric when I was in MN. If you are ever in the area you have to check it out. I have never seen that much fabric in my whole life combined! Indiesew has some twills right now that are similar to what I used. This stretch camel twill is pretty much the same as my cropped pants fabric, and this eggplant is similar in weight to my rusty-coral shorts fabric. This Charcoal would be a great lighter weight option too.

The shorts were my first go with the Landers and I was gleefully surprised when I tried them on after baste fitting and there were no fit wrinkles anywhere. I sewed the size 6. I went ahead and took a little out of the side seam anyway just so it wouldn’t hug my thunder thighs, but they could have been fine as is. I probably just felt the need to adjust something, and since Kelly built a 1″ seam allowance into the side seam it was an easy adjustment.

The pants didn’t go as smoothly with the fitting. I used a stretch twill and the pattern calls for woven with little to no stretch. My baste fitting showed more wrinkles than I anticipated and it was a good exercise in taking things slow as I worked through the adjustments one at a time. I used this guide and basically made adjustments for a full thigh, low butt, and full calf, and I shortened the crotch depth. They also showed signs of needing a knocked knee adjustment, but I would have had to have done that on the flat pattern. It was too late with my fabric already cut. Plus I’m pretty sure I don’t have knocked knees and when I make these again in non-stretch fabric I don’t anticipate needing it. Once I worked through the fit issues, the stretch in the fabric has been fine for wearing.

You saw the Rifle Paper Co. in my shirt. I also hid some in both the pants pockets. Can’t stop, won’t stop.

Time Investment: I didn’t make any significant mistakes while sewing any of these. I do generally remove seams and do them over throughout all my projects and all of that time is factored in. I was surprised how quickly the Landers came together compared to making jeans!

Lander Shorts Lander Pants Batch Sew Both Cheyennes
Cut/Interface 15 min 27 min 2 hr
Baste Fit 15 min 20 min 27 min
Construction 4.7 hr 4.5 hr 11.3 hr

 

Thank you for following along!

*This post was compensated by Indiesew. As always all opinions are my own.

3 Comments

    • Thank you Emily! I knew for a long time I needed to try double cloth, but I had no idea how badly. It is amazing!!!

  1. What a great collection! Everything here is so harmonious and it has a real Dr. Ellie Sattler vibe! Your fabrics are dreamy as well.

Write A Comment